Welcome to Week 5!
Sunday, September 13 is Grandparents Day.
We would like to wish a happy Grandparents Day to our NES grandparents!
“Grandparents are like stars. You don't always see them, but you know they're there.”
Thank you families for helping us keep our campus healthy and keeping students home when sick! Working together as a team has allowed us to keep everyone around us healthy as well!
Start with Hello Week
In preparation for the Start with Hello Week, we would like to invite families to create informational posters on one of the three topics:
Culture of connectedness
Please use the standard size poster paper and have your child bring in their poster by Friday, September 18. These posters will be displayed around the school during the Start with Hello Week and virtually on NES Facebook page. We will have daily activities planned for the week of September 21-25. Stay tuned!
AR Star Readers
Congratulations to our top AR readers for the first half of the first grading period! These students have taken quizzes in Accelerated Reader on the books that they read which they passed with a minimum of 85% accuracy.
Ailani Sanchez (39 points), Jacob Medrano (21 points), Michael Grzech (21 points), Chase Stinson (19 points), Brandon Stevens (18 points), Heidy Mejia-Lopez (12 points), Noah Merilus (12 points), Riley Thomas (12 points), Delaney Raney (12 points), Levi Johnston (11 points), Yandel Cardenas (11 points), Gage Thomas (11 points), Kenady Hopkins (11 points), Gaby Sangabriel (10 points).
Way to go!
Reflex Math Super Users
A huge shout out goes to Brody Hortman and Emalee Hunter who have practiced their math facts fluency in Reflex Math 5 days a week since the beginning of the school year! Brody has gained 62 math facts in his current assignment and Emalee has gained 82 math facts!
Way to go!
Week 5 Important Documents
Be on the lookout for the following documents in your child’s information folder on Tuesday:
- Revised Student-Parent-Teacher-Principal Compact (please sign and return). Option 2 parents - you may complete the form below instead: https://forms.gle/eVdNFBWT5x67ydos9
- Long Term Substitute Notification letters and Out of Field Teacher Notification letters (if applicable to your child)
Other important documents that have been shared with families so far include:
- 8-15-20 Back to School Update
- NES Student Handbook 2020
- NES Reopening Plan 2020 - Family Guide
- OCSB Student Code of Conduct English (sign and return the last page)
- OCSB Student Code of Conduct Spanish (sign and return the last page)
- Over The Counter Medication Form (return to school)
- Emergency Contact Information Sheet (return to school)
- Mid quarter progress reports
- Tiger Times with OOF notification
Important Updates this Year
Self-screening continues to be required prior to entering campus (student home screener is provided on page 5 of the NES Reopening Plan 2020 - Family Guide). Please call the school office to report a sick child as outlined in the Self Screening Guide below. Students exhibiting these symptoms at school will be sent home:
- Temperature 100.4 degrees F or higher
- Sore throat
- New uncontrolled cough that causes difficulty breathing (for students with chronic allergic/asthmatic cough, a change in their cough from baseline)
- Diarrhea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
- New onset of severe headache, especially with a fever
- Had close contact with a person with confirmed COVID-19
- Traveled to or lived in an areas where the local, Tribal, territorial, or state health department is reporting large numbers of COVID-19 cases
- Live in areas of high community transmission
- Temperature checks are conducted for students and staff
- Walk in visitors are not allowed - always call ahead for an appointment
- Parent meetings are held virtually when at all possible
- Drop off of non-instructional items is not allowed
9/13 Happy Grandparents Day!
9/14 Teacher Work Day - No School
9/18 iReady Diagnostic Assessment 1 ends for kindergarten
9/18 Start with Hello homemade posters due!
9/21 Start with Hello Week; Celebrate Freedom Week
9/24 SAC Meeting to approve School Improvement Plan 5 PM
Title I Annual Meeting/Parents Information Session 5:30 PM
School Lunch Menu This Week
Chicken patty/bun; Yogurt & PBJ; Lunchables for K
Spaghetti/ Turkey on croissant
Popcorn chicken; Yogurt plate
Lunch and breakfast are free to all students! For easy access, breakfast is provided in pre-packaged bags at both student entrances. School meals for Option 2 students are distributed Monday through Friday from the Public Library parking lot from 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Only the parent/guardian or person listed as an emergency contact may pick up meals for their child(ren).
Additional Learning Activities and Resources
- Logins to district programs is accessed at https://launchpad.classlink.com/okeechobee
- Math facts practice is available at https://www.reflexmath.com/
- Tutorials on Florida Standards are available at http://www.floridastudents.org/
- Video tutorials and practice for core subject areas on each grade level are available at https://www.khanacademy.org/
- Students are encouraged to read at least 20 minutes each day.
Reports concerning unsafe, potentially harmful, dangerous, violent, or criminal activities, or the threat of these activities, can be made to appropriate public safety agencies and school officials using the following link: https://getfortifyfl.com/Tip.html. All students have access to this reporting tool on their Chromebooks at school.
Dr. Tuuli Robinson
Principal of North Elementary Schoolrobinsont@okee.k12.fl.us